Friday, June 10, 2005

Entering the blogosphere

In anticipation of a whole bunch of FUD to be stirred up around the Apple/Intel announcement this week, I've decided to establish a foothold in the blogosphere and add to the noise.

My initial take: It's a great move by Apple, nicely timed, and some of the most intriguing aspects of the story haven't even been broached yet. It's going to be a fun couple of years.

My background: I've been a software developer for just about 30 years, switching around among languages and platforms. I'm a Mac developer (and user) by choice, but I'm currently working with Java for web application development to pay the bills. I post to Slashdot and other sites under the name "RetiredMidn"; hence the blog title.

My nom de plume derives from the fact that I was a Midshipman at the U.S. Naval Academy for a short time, before the Navy introduced me to computer programming and I realized what I really wanted to do with my career. While I was there, I was spared a serious ass-chewing by a prank attributed to the ghost of "Philo McGiffin", who is said to haunt the academy; there's an excellent writeup of the career of the real Philo McGiffin here.

More to come, as soon as I figure out how to hook up all those blogging tools I bought on spec a while ago...

No comments: